Interior design has become an essential part of modern lifestyle. This necessitates the invention of a new course like interior design. Therefore many leading institutions are offering this course all over the world. Any person who has some creative imagination, style and originality, a career in interior design can be just right for him. This design technique satisfies both the creative fancies and the materialistic needs of the people, on the other hand it promises glamour, fame and achievement.
The fast integrating world coupled with growth of the market economy and growing consumerism has opened a scope for the interior designers. They not only make the interiors eye-catching but also exploit the available space to the maximum. This is the reason why interior designers are in high demand these days.
Interior design courses open successful career in many areas. An interior designer can handle the designing project of private farms and houses. He can also design the interior of offices etc. One can also be employed as theater and set designers or exhibition designer after completing of the designing courses.
Few of the colleges that provide interior designing courses in India are
- Anima Institute of Fashion, Corporate Office at 1 Shambhu Nath Pandit Street, Calcutta-700 020.
- Apeejay Institute of Design (Affiliated to Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar), 54, Tughlakabad Institutional Area, M.B. Road, Near Batra Hospital, New Delhi-110 062.
- Avinashillingam Institute for Home Science & Higher Education for Women, Coimbatore-641 043.
- Birla Institute of Liberal Arts and Management Sciences, 5-A Sarat Bose Road (opp. Minto Park), Calcutta-700 020.
- College of Art & Design (affiliated to University of Madras), No. 7, P.V. Koil Street, Aminjikaral, Chennai-600 029.
- Exteriors-Interiors (in assn. with Jensen & Nicholson conducts courses in Computer Aided Interior Design) EDIT Institute, Mumbai. (Other centres-Bangalore, Calicut, Calcutta, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kochi, Mumbai, Pune).
- II School of Arts, Fort, Mumbai-400 001.
- Karavali College, (Affiliated to Managalore University), Menezes Towers, Urwa Store, Mangalore-575 006. Ph: 0824-455656;
- National Institute of Fashion Design, 14-B, Camac Street, Calcutta-700 017.
- Nirmala Niketan, 49, New Marine Lines, Mumbai-20.
- Rachna Sansa, School of Interior Design, 278, Shankar Ghanekar Marg, Prabahadevi, Mumbai-400 025.
- School of Interior Design, Institute of Enviornmental Design, Near Bhaikaka Library, Vallabh Vidyanagar-388 120.
- Shree Devi College of Interior Design, Ballalbagh, Mangalore-575 003. Ph: 0824-456501, 456511;
- SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai-400 020.
- Sophia College B.K. Somani Polytechnic, Bhulabhai Desal Road, Mumbai-400 026.
- South Delhi Polytechnic for Women, Lajpat Nagar-IV, New Delshi-110024.